My daughter came running out of her room, “I need a tissue!” She was blur as she ran into the bathroom only to screech at the empty box, change direction and head to my room. I heard Lily, not suffering from a cold as of five minutes before, blow her nose with gusto. She walked out of my room, continuing to blow her nose. She muttered something between her deep breaths, “Say again, Lily?”
“A bead’s stuck up my nose.”
“What? You put a bead up your nose again?!”
With attitude and a shake of her head she exclaimed, “No! It flew up there.”
Last week, my four year old daughter (who I wrongly thought was way past the sticking-things-in-my-nose phase) came to me with a bead visible at the end of her nostril. We sat together talking about bead safety and how a person’s nose, ears and mouth are not suitable storage units, regardless of how comfortably the item may fit.
Needless to say, I was shocked to hear she had done it again and horrified that I couldn’t see it in her nose.
I’ve seen the same scenerio play out on tv and in the movies, the laugh track working overtime in the background, but it wasn’t funny looking at Lily wondering what to do. Do you really take a kid to the hospital for a tiny bead up her nose? I turned to Google.
Nothing said rush to the hospital. Her nostril wasn’t dripping and there wasn’t any blood or discomfort even though she said she could feel it. I did a reverse CPR type maneuver described on a parenting site and still nothing came out. My husband and I were of the mind that she must have swallowed it, or she would at some point, but as a final precaution, I called Telehealth Ontario.
Off to the hospital we went with instructions that she wasn’t to eat, drink or fall asleep. The thought of Lily breathing the bead directly into her lungs hadn’t even entered my mind.
We were taken directly in, after triage we were shown to one of the two trauma rooms.
Once exams and xrays were over, Lily sat on my lap as the doctor told us the next steps. We were to watch for nose bleeds, coughing, fever and any sign of infection that may indicate that the bead had indeed made it’s way into the lungs, if it was still in her at all. If that were to happen, Lily would need to see a specialist who would put a camera up her nose and into her chest to see what was going on. As the doctor explained the procedure Lily sank into me as if trying to disappear altogether.
I don’t think she’ll be sticking anything up her nose again any time soon.
Apparently kids up to the age of six may be tempted to see what they can fit up their nose and it’s imperative that if you can’t get it out or see it, that you see a doctor. There is a risk they may aspirate or cause damage to their nose.
So, the Public Service Announcement portion of my post: If you can’t see the item shoved up your child’s nose, take them to the hospital immediately. You will be in and out in almost no time and, if nothing else, it should sufficiently scare them to never do it again.